Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Heat in the Kitchen

On one of the hottest days of the year (been in the triple digits for 2 days), I decide to heat up the kitchen. I have never made jelly before and tried it earlier this week with some blackberries and apples. Turned out beautifully. Some leftover blackberries were crying out to be made into some more jelly this afternoon.
The recipe called for apple juice from fresh apples. I didn't have any more apples so after researching using bottled juice, I gave it a try. The end result was wonderful. 
Blackberry Apple Jelly (adapted from Taste of Home Canning magazine)
2 1/2 quarts blackberries
1 1/4 cup water
Bottled apple juice
1/4 cup bottled lemon juice
8 cups sugar
2 pouches liquid pectin


1.In large pot, bring blackberries and water to a boil. Reduce and simmer for 5 minutes. Line strainer with four layers of cheesecloth and place over a bowl. Place berry mixture in strainer and let it drain for 30 minutes. Discard the pulp.
2. Measure the blackberry juice and add enough apple juice to equal 4 cups.
3. Return juice to pot and add lemon juice and sugar. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Stir in pectin and return to full rolling boil. Boil for one minute, stirring constantly.
4. Remove from heat, skim off foam and carefully ladle into hot sterilized jars leaving 1/4 headspace. Wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 5 minutes in a water bath.


And then for supper I decide to fry some corn fritters. What was I thinking? Apparently, the heat has damaged my thinking. 


Enjoy...

1 comment:

Beth said...

Hopefully you had your AC going!

Your jelly looks great and delicious. I can only bring myself to make freezer pickles - no cooking. :)