For the past two summers, my husband and I have taken a road trip to visit our son in the City of Brotherly Love.
This summer we decided to do something different. We flew to Tucson, Arizona. Quite the contrast to the eastern United States.
While I knew this is a desert environment
with very little green vegetation or flowers,
I was amazed at how hot it gets in Arizona.
Yes, I know it is a "dry" heat, but hot is hot!
Speaking of hot temperatures, summer is a great time to get out of the kitchen and do a little grilling. This Flank Steak Pinwheel with spinach, roasted red peppers and a bleu cheese sauce is an easy grilling recipe.
Flank Steak Pinwheels with Bleu Cheese Sauce
6 to 8 bacon strips
1 beef flank steak, (1 ½ lb)
1 cup fresh baby spinach
1 jar marinated roasted red peppers, drained
Seasoning (like Greek seasoning or salt and pepper)
1.Microwave bacon strips 2 or 3 minutes until partially cooked.
2. Butterfly the steak by cutting horizontally from the side of the steak to within ½ in of opposite edge. Open meat so it lies flat; cover with plastic wrap and flatten meat to ¼ inch thickness. Remove plastic wrap.
3. Sprinkle with seasoning of choose. Place spinach on top followed by the red peppers.
4. With the grain of meat going left to right, roll up jelly-roll style. Wrap bacon strips around meat and secure with toothpicks.
5. Slice beef across the grain and between each bacon slice. Sprinkle with more seasoning.
6. Grill over medium heat until meat reaches desired doneness.
7. Serve with Bleu Cheese sauce:
3 oz cream cheese, ¼ cup milk, ½ cup crumbled bleu cheese
Cook over low heat until melted and smooth.