Pages

Saturday, December 31, 2011

You Say Brookies, I Say Delicous!

Over Christmas break, I have been "reading" my favorite genre of literature. Cookbooks, recipes books, or what my grandmother would say receipt books. Cookbooks can be considered literature, right? If not, they should be. One can find very creative works between the covers of these books. 

After spending some time reading Clinton St. Baking Company Cookbook by Dede Lahman and Neil Kleinberg, I had to try one of the cookie recipes. The authors called these chunky chocolate cookies a cross between brownies and cookies or Brookies.  Clever name, isn't it? I guess they could be called Crownies, too :)


I'm betting these would go great with a cup of joe. Crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside. I don't drink coffee, but it has what seems to go well with coffee.  I know a tall, cold glass of milk works nicely with these babies.  Mmmm, Mmmm, good!

Brookies

1 tablespoon canola oil
1 teaspoon butter
2 cups semisweet chocolate chunks
2 eggs
¾ cup brown sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
½ cup flour
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1. Melt oil, butter and 1 cup of chocolate together in microwave.
2. In separate bowl whisk together eggs, brown sugar and vanilla. Fold melted chocolate into egg mixture.
3. In separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the chocolate mixture.
4. Fold in remaining chocolate chunks.
5. Scoop out tablespoon size balls of dough and place on greased cookie sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes at 350
 


Enjoy....

1 comment:

Beth said...

Yum!

I used to have an old cookbook and it had great reading material in it. One of the tips was "A clever wife has a cool cocktail waiting for her husband when he comes home." Cool cocktail? Ha! My husband and I still tease each other about that.