Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Slushburgers, Wimpies or Yip Yips

After a long day at school, 

 




 when I am tired and not in the mood to be in the kitchen for any length of time, one of my favorite meals to prepare is a simple and quick ground beef sandwich served on hamburger buns. This simple dish has numerous names depending on where you live. They are called Yip Yips (Missouri), Wimpies (northeastern Pennsylvannia), Slushburgers (Montana) and Dynamites (Virginia). However, in my neck of the woods they are called Sloppy Joes.

 I must confess that I usually purchase a certain well know sauce version in a can which is added to browned ground beef when I make sloppy joes. Recently I came across an easy recipe for homemade sloppy joes that was very good. And as my husband said, "It's a keeper!" 

Sloppy Joes (adapted from Pinch My Salt)
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 lb. ground beef
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 small can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
¼ cup ketchup
½ cup water


1.Sauté onions, green peppers and garlic in oil until softened.
2.Add beef and cook until beef is done. Drain fat.
3.Add the remaining ingredients and cook over low heat until thickened. Add more water if it gets too thick.
4. Serve on hamburger buns with grated cheese.
Enjoy....

1 comment:

Medifast Coupon said...

Great sloppy joe's recipe, and today the kids have come home from school wanting just that for dinner. And of course I don't have a can of you know what so here I am searching for a homemade version. Thanks so much you have saved my day!