Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

How Do You Eat Your Oreos?

Earlier in the month I was watching Martha Stewart not realizing that I would be discovering my new favorite cookbook. Joanne Chang, a guest on the show and owner of Flour Bakery and Cafe in Boston, was making her vanilla cream filled doughnuts from her new book Flour.
I was so impressed with her on the show that I immediately ordered the book. I was not disappointed. The book's explanations on baking techniques, tips and use of equipment are easy to understand for both the novice or the experienced baker. The ingredients are found in the average kitchen and the best part is how impressive the results are both in taste and sight. My, my, my!!! I read somewhere that these baked goods look and taste just like what is found at her bakery. 
I intended to make the vanilla cream filled doughnuts but once I turned the page and saw this recipe I knew I couldn't resist. It was love at first sight.

 Can you believe this? I know....unbelievable!! So easy, so delicious and, I might add, so impressive.
 Where is my tall glass of cold milk? Got some twisting and dipping to do.

 Homemade Oreos adapted from Flour
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 egg
1 ½ cup flour
¾ cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon baking soda

Filling:
½ cup butter, softened
1 2/3 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon milk
Pinch of kosher salt

1.Melt chocolate chips and allow to cool.
2.Cream butter and sugar until well combined . Add vanilla, melted chocolate and egg and mix well.
3.In separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder and baking soda. Using a wooden spoon, stir flour mixture into the chocolate mixture. Dough will be stiff. Allow dough to sit at room temperature about 1 hour.
4.Roll dough into a 10 inch long and 2 ½ diameter log. Chill for a couple of hours or until firm.
5.Slice ¼ inch slices and bake on greased cookie sheet at  325 ⁰ for about 20 minutes. Watch cookie carefully until just firm on the top. Cool.
6. Mix filling ingredients together until smooth. Scoop 1 rounded tablespoon of filling onto the bottom of a cookie. Top with a second cookie and gently press down to spread the filling.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Those look so delicious!!!